Thursday, September 3, 2009

Irish Blogger Gathering: Let the Kool-Aid Flow

I know you've all been waiting anxiously for my answers to this week's first IBG of the season, hosted over at Domer Law Blog. Well, wait no longer. Another lawyer, checking in.

1. My season preview included music video footage for each position group. What song or video do you feel typifies this year's Notre Dame team heading into the season? Embed a youtube or other similar video if possible.

I had real trouble with this. Then, I thought, something fun, something upbeat. A little something that opens with a line like, "On your mark, ready set, let's go":



2. Post a picture that to you portrays the attitude of this year's team and discuss.



Awww, a little deer. Here's the deal. Look at this dude. He's feeling OK. You know, figured out the whole standing up thing at this point. But, there's a lot left to prove. It only takes one mountain lion (or car) to derail this whole growing up thing. But, if you can avoid the mountain lions (and cars), you're pretty well set. Like ND - things have been going OK. They're looking like they're going to get better, but it won't take much to screw that up. So, you know, avoid the lions. And the cars. And the people with guns.

3. What do you perceive as the team's biggest weakness heading into the season?


I was going to go with swagger/confidence/similar term, but that seems to be popular. Instead, I am wondering if I can get away with saying having Charlie on the field. I saw the Hawaii game. Put him back up there until ND loses again.

4. With the exception of the 1990s, Notre Dame has won a National Championship in every decade since the 1920s. What are the chances (a) that Notre Dame wins a championship this year, and (b) if not this year, when do you predict the next championship for the Irish?

(a)I'm going with a 25% chance ND wins a National Championship this year. The talent is there to win every game on the schedule, or drop one and still make it there. I'm optimistic, what can I say?

(b) Next year.

5. Nevada runs the Pistol offense, Navy the Triple Option, and Michigan the Spread Option. Which offensive scheme do you think is the most difficult to prepare for, and why?

Pistol. Was going to go with the others, but we see those on occasion. The pistol? Not so much. Anything that you don't see regularly is going to give you fits. I don't like fits. Plus, you know, at this point in the week, I am pretty convinced that Nevada is the best team ND will face all season (don't worry, I'll feel the same about Michigan this time next week).

6. Is Colin Capaernick the best quarterback we'll see this year? If not, who is?


I'll go with yes. And yes, most of this is the fact that I have spent the last month scaring the crap out of myself thinking about this game, rather than actual reasons. Colin Capaernick is, in my mind, with less than 48 hours until game time, perhaps the greatest quarterback of all time.

7. Prediction time. We have to get on the record before the season kicks off. Give me:

A video to go with my predictions:



(1) Overall prediction for wins/losses: 12-1
(2) Projected bowl game and result: National Championship and WIN.
(3) Predicted final ranking: #1
(4) Best player on the team: Michael Floyd
(5) Heisman trophy winner: Jimmy Clausen
(6) National Champion: Notre Dame
(7) Prediction for Nevada game, including score: ND wins, 37-24

1 comment:

Craig said...

I like your optimism, but I have a hard time seeing us in the title game with one loss. There just isn't enough top-end opposition in the schedule.